Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Basic Acai Bowl Recipe

I originally posted this picture to Instagram as well as a couple of other pictures to Snapchat ( @mariahdupuy ) and I had a few people ask me what's involved with making an acai bowl. I'm glad you asked, they are so good!



The usual go to cool treat in the summer (and we're having a heatwave here right now) is ice cream. Acai bowls are a great alternative and much better for you, in fact acai is considered to be a "superfood". Broken right down it's just a smoothie in a bowl, but it's a deconstructed one and so very pretty to look at and quite frankly...I like to eat pretty food, especially when it's easy.

All you need is approx two cups of frozen mixed berries (I used a four berry blend of raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries):


To the berry blend add one tablespoon of acai powder and a half of a banana to keep things creamy and a little bit sweeter.


Add about 3/4 cup of almond milk, this is approximate as you want the blend to be quite thick, and start blending. I used my trusty Nutri Ninja blender (love!).

Once it's blended you scoop it into a bowl and decorate however you like. In mine I used the other half of the banana that I used in the berry blend, some fresh blueberries and raspberries as well as chia seeds down the middle and hemp hearts on the side. Between the acai, chia and hemp you'd be chalk full of healthy omega fatty acids and antioxidants.

There are so many other things you can add as toppings...granola, coconut flakes, chopped fruit of any kind, all kinds of seeds...honestly the options are endless.



It's the perfect healthy summer treat! 

Have you tried one before? Will you now?



No comments:

Post a Comment