Monday, August 25, 2014

Food and Fitness Update

If you follow me on Instagram then you may have seen some of these photos already. I wanted to give you an idea of what I'm eating and some of the changes I've been making. My big focus has been not to make it more than I can handle, I don't want to set myself up to fail.... this is a permanent change.
I have really upped my water intake, not so crazy that I'm chained to the bathroom but I am definitely drinking much more than before...must flush the toxins out! I've also changed to only one cup of tea during the day, I drink it along with my breakfast. It's not that I think tea is bad, it's just that this really encourages me to drink more water, and because I take just under a tsp of sugar in my tea that helps eliminate that too.

I've nearly eliminated my processed sugar intake, it's pretty much just that morning cup of tea. In exchange I've been eating a lot more fruit, remember I said I wanted to keep this doable, and the fruit helps any sweet cravings.

The kiddies and I have been picking fruit to enjoy....


and buying it too...oh how I wish I had a peach tree.


With most lunches I enjoy a bowl of Imagine Organic Creamy Butternut Squash soup....it's delicious, only 110 calories a cup and really helps fill me up. It also helps me to eat slowly and mindfully as it's difficult to eat soup quickly. With this lunch  I had a slice of 100% whole wheat bread with a quarter of an avocado spread over it, a little bit of salt and pepper and then one fried egg on top. Enjoyed with yet another large glass of water and I was completely full and satisfied. Sometimes I have an open faced tuna sandwich, or a salad with lots of veggie toppings and a little goat cheese and pumpkin seeds. It depends on how I've eaten the day before, I'm trying to keep things balanced...not too many starches on the same day...breads, rice, pasta etc...


Here are a couple examples of my dinners from the week:

I made Crockpot Chicken Thighs and while Chris and the kids had them in taco shells with cheese and sour cream, I had them over a mixed green salad topped with corn and red cabbage. I had it for lunch the next day too!


 My late planted garden is just starting to offer up delicious tomatoes and zucchinis and I'm beyond thrilled to be able to incorporate them into my cooking. Although I grew up with a big garden this is the first year I've had my own and have really worked to have it produce. There have been some ups and downs but that's a subject for another post.

Last night I picked two big tomatoes and two big zucchinis so it was the perfect time to make Naked Turkey Bruschetta Burgers.
I will admit I eyeballed the bruschetta measurements but boy did it turn out yummy (don't forget to add the mozza right before serving).


The grated zucchini goes right into the turkey patties and it makes it incredibly moist (something that can be difficult with turkey). This dish was a big winner.


I have quite a bit of zucchini leftover and will be making some zucchini bread with the kids today...stay tuned for that post!

I just realized I forgot to talk about what I've been eating for breakfast and it's been pretty simple, usually just a piece of 100% whole wheat bread with a Tblsp of peanut butter. That with the tea keeps me full until lunch time.

I've been walking 7km every evening and I really look forward to this time. I take a dog along with me, pop my earbuds in for music (I've actually been thinking of listening to books during this time...any recommendations?) and away I go. It's my me time and it's lovely.
I've also dusted off (literally) my Bowflex Sport and have been working my upper body. I've had some sore pectoral muscles for a few days but it feels great!

Overall I can't believe how much better I feel already. I never feel slow and sluggish during the day and I have way more patience. Speaking of patience, I thought this was interesting...after taking my kids and their friend blackberry picking we decided to go to Dairy Queen for a kids cone to cool off. I had a kids cone too thinking it was small and I've been doing really well. I was starving afterwards...I couldn't seem to fill up and I was really grumpy for the rest of day. I had no patience, kids playing and screaming seemed to go directly into my brain. That one little sugar (and who knows what else goes into DQ "ice cream") filled cone was my undoing. It is absolutely amazing how food effects you...that sugar made my cravings spike through the roof and all I wanted to do was eat. I'll stick to the fruit thanks.

I've been thinking of getting a Fitbit Flex to keep track of my steps and activity throughout the day. You actually wear the band 24/7 so it monitors your sleeping habits too, good information to have. Does anyone out there have one? What do you think of  it?


No comments:

Post a Comment